Butchery qualification overview
The level 2 butchery qualification has been developed from scratch in order to underpin the butcher apprenticeship standard as well as meet the needs of learners and industry as a stand alone qualification.
This qualification is designed develop and assess the competent performance of those involved in butchery operations, so they develop the necessary skills, knowledge and behaviours to work effectively in their role. On achievement of the qualification learners will have developed the level of competence which will enable them to perform consistently, reliably and productively in their work role, and make a positive contribution to employment.
This qualification will support progression of learners to:
- increased responsibility or promotion opportunities in work
- level 3 vocational qualifications in butchery/food and drink operations/management
- apprenticeships for the food and drink industry
- advanced butchery operations, technical or management related job roles in butchery/food and drink
The qualification must be assessed using the following assessment methods:
- Multiple Choice Examination
- Oral Examination
- Practical Demonstration/Assignment
Learners are required to achieve all learning outcomes within units of assessment. Assessment of skills will involve observation of learner performance carrying out a butcher’s role in the workplace or in an approved butchery environment. All assessment is subject to internal quality assurance within approved centres providing this qualification.
Externally quality assurance of assessment and internal quality assurance within approved centres is provided by OAL.
Butcher end-point assessment
OAL is approved to deliver the Butcher end-point assessment